Welcome to Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum
.: Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum :.
 Home | Guest Book | Forums | Contact Us | Submit News | Search
   Welcome Guest! Click here to create an account. March 09, 2014  
 .:Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forums
· Recommend Us
· Search
· Statistics
· Submit Feedback
· Submit News
· Surveys
· Web Links
· Your Account

.:Who's Online
There are currently, 173 guest(s) and 14 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

.:Search

.:Prince2 ? General
Hopefully you will find this portal to be extremely valuable. If you have any suggestions or comments however, please make them via the feedback option above.

Important Note: Prince2 ? is a trademark of the Office of Government Commerce

.:Useful Info
OGC? - The owners of Prince2 ?
ITIL? ITIL Wiki?
IT Infrastructure Lib?
CMI - Chartered Management Institute

Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum: Forums

International Prince2 User Forum :: View topic - PRINCE2 & Project Schedules
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PRINCE2 & Project Schedules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Prince2 User Forum Forum Index -> General Prince2 Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sensu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: PRINCE2 & Project Schedules Reply with quote

As part of a new role I?m about to undertake I have to create a PRINCE2 based project schedule. I?m a bit unsure as to how to go about it, is there even such a thing as a PRINCE2 schedule?

If anyone has got any ideas or can help clarify a couple of points

a. Do I split the schedule into two streams (Management and Technical) and have the process modules under Management and the Design/Development/Production/Delivery under Technical?
b. Do I have Design/Development/Production/Delivery as mid-stages of the Execution (MP) process?
c. Do I base the schedule on the PBS/PFD and have the activities under each product?
d. Do I need different schedules for each stage?
d. Or is it a case of yes, I can do any of the above and tailor it as I see fit.

It?s the first time I?ve had any dealings trying to schedule using PRINCE2 and after some initial research this is still very much a grey area for me. I?m more used to traditional CPM planning using phases and lifecycles.
TimReeks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensu

If you know what products the project will need to create, then writing them out in the order they will be created, from left to right, then swinging the list thru 90 degress so you have a vertical list with the first one at the top and the last one at the bottom, is the list that should be entered into whatever Project Management software you are using OR MS Excel if you want.

Then you need to work yiur way down the list entering how long each will take to create and when creation will start.

At appropriate points you need to insert breaks or decision points, to indicate by when products above the decision point break need to be ready for. Each decision point can then indicate a Start and End point of a Project Stage, which could be called- Project Identification, Project Definition, Project Delivery, Project Close.

You might like to consider if each product needs a standard lifecycle e.g. Define Product, Create Product, Review Product, Update Product, Approve Product, Product Created.

Product Created is a milestone used to monitor progress by key points.

If you have standard durations for the above product stages even better.

Once you have been thru this a number of times no doubt you will be able to create 'standard project Gantt Plans' for a range of Project types.

Hope usewful
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Prince2 User Forum Forum Index -> General Prince2 Issues All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: