Welcome to Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum
.: Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum :.
 Home | Guest Book | Forums | Contact Us | Submit News | Search
   Welcome Guest! Click here to create an account. March 09, 2014  
 .:Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forums
· Recommend Us
· Search
· Statistics
· Submit Feedback
· Submit News
· Surveys
· Web Links
· Your Account

.:Who's Online
There are currently, 173 guest(s) and 11 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

.:Search

.:Prince2 ? General
Hopefully you will find this portal to be extremely valuable. If you have any suggestions or comments however, please make them via the feedback option above.

Important Note: Prince2 ? is a trademark of the Office of Government Commerce

.:Useful Info
OGC? - The owners of Prince2 ?
ITIL? ITIL Wiki?
IT Infrastructure Lib?
CMI - Chartered Management Institute

Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum: Forums

International Prince2 User Forum :: View topic - Stages, Products and Activities
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stages, Products and Activities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Prince2 User Forum Forum Index -> General Prince2 Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graham_pursey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Stages, Products and Activities Reply with quote

Hi,

I work for a software company and I'm new to PRINCE2. I am trying to get my head around the break down of items into stages, products and activities.

A typical software evolution goes through design, development, testing and installation. So for a distinct piece of code there is a design document produced that needs to be signed off before continuing. So from that design seems to be a stage. But it can also be looked at slightly differently. The stage is the creation of the code, the product is the code itself and the activities are design it, build it test it.

I suspect there is no right answer since it needs to be tailored to the project and depends on what needs to be signed off (i.e. a stage). So what I am looking for is some PRINCE2 examples for software development to get an idea of how others have put together the stages, products and activities to learn from what has been done before. Does anyone have anything like that or point me to somewhere that does?

Thanks, Graham
GregT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is more than one way to skin a cat. One example of stages would be:

SU, IP, Design, Development, Testing, Installation, CP

The overall Project Plan and PID are created in IP. At each stage boundary after IP would be a SB process to plan the next stage, update the Project Plan, and update the Business Case.

However, I am not a software developer, but I believe that the stages of Design, Development, Testing, and Installation are more iterative in most SDLC methods.

I am not aware of how PRINCE2 is customized to handle these iterations. One of the criticisms of PRINCE2 is that the OGC ripped out all the software / IT specific stuff out of PRINCE.

I thought I saw a paper or book that applies PRINCE2 to software projects, but I cannot find it right now. Any pointers?

Greg
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alfred

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also in IT industry.

My practice is:
. stage 0 - IP
. stage 1 - feasibility study (or collection of functional requirements)
. stage 2 - coding
. testing
. deployment and training
. closure

My principle is: how can the project is manageable.

Please remind that if stage 2 takes, say, 2 years time to complete. It may be a good practice to divide the coding stage into, for example 4 stages, but we need to consider how these stages can be ID and manage easily.

Also, please note that testing does not include those unit test etc. It is merely the acceptance test or whatsoever.

Hope it helps.

Alfred
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Prince2 User Forum Forum Index -> General Prince2 Issues All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: