Welcome to Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum
.: Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum :.
 Home | Guest Book | Forums | Contact Us | Submit News | Search
   Welcome Guest! Click here to create an account. March 09, 2014  
 .:Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forums
· Recommend Us
· Search
· Statistics
· Submit Feedback
· Submit News
· Surveys
· Web Links
· Your Account

.:Who's Online
There are currently, 176 guest(s) and 11 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

.:Search

.:Prince2 ? General
Hopefully you will find this portal to be extremely valuable. If you have any suggestions or comments however, please make them via the feedback option above.

Important Note: Prince2 ? is a trademark of the Office of Government Commerce

.:Useful Info
OGC? - The owners of Prince2 ?
ITIL? ITIL Wiki?
IT Infrastructure Lib?
CMI - Chartered Management Institute

Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum: Forums

International Prince2 User Forum :: View topic - Project Board
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project Board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Prince2 User Forum Forum Index -> General Prince2 Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stiff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Project Board Reply with quote

Hello - I'm currently working through the "Managing Successful Projects" manual and implementing methodology in practice.

I am working with a client who, despite being a very large organisation, has relied (in the past) on a very fragmented approach to briefing new projects.
At the moment I am creating the Mandate document, which I intend to forward to the client for approval.

My roles will be "supplier" and "project manager" - I need to establish a project board however (as there is none currently) - who and how should I go about this?

I am working with an academic organisation who is also a supplier within the programme of work that involves my project - I will be managing them (albeit at a high level) also.

My understanding of the project board is that it should be separate from the project manager - so I am potentially going to be wearing a number of hats, some of which will conflict with my responsibilities (ie assigning budget constraints)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Project Board Reply with quote

Stiff wrote:
Hello - I'm currently working through the "Managing Successful Projects" manual and implementing methodology in practice.

I am working with a client who, despite being a very large organisation, has relied (in the past) on a very fragmented approach to briefing new projects.
At the moment I am creating the Mandate document, which I intend to forward to the client for approval.

My roles will be "supplier" and "project manager" - I need to establish a project board however (as there is none currently) - who and how should I go about this?

I am working with an academic organisation who is also a supplier within the programme of work that involves my project - I will be managing them (albeit at a high level) also.

My understanding of the project board is that it should be separate from the project manager - so I am potentially going to be wearing a number of hats, some of which will conflict with my responsibilities (ie assigning budget constraints)

Are you saying that there is no Executive in the board as well? If the project is not that complicated, why not let the Executive and Supplier be the same person? We emphasis on the ROLES.
alfred

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgot "logging in".

Alfred
Stiff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writing and then ruminating over my own question provided some closure with this. I structured the project board around the client (although they haven't - to my knowledge - used this type of structure before) - the principal client contact (he who pops his head up with a fairly unstructured brief, then dissappears) I've identified as the executive, his PM I've made the user and myself and the academic heading up the other project in the programme are the suppliers - fairly obvious in retrospect.
Now the main problem - it looks sensible to me, but I've got to send them the mandate and get them to buy in on it. That's something that I'd appreciate any suggestions with.
alfred

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stiff wrote:
Writing and then ruminating over my own question provided some closure with this. I structured the project board around the client (although they haven't - to my knowledge - used this type of structure before) - the principal client contact (he who pops his head up with a fairly unstructured brief, then dissappears) I've identified as the executive, his PM I've made the user and myself and the academic heading up the other project in the programme are the suppliers - fairly obvious in retrospect.
Now the main problem - it looks sensible to me, but I've got to send them the mandate and get them to buy in on it. That's something that I'd appreciate any suggestions with.

Are you saying that they are not willing to use PRINCE2? One important criteria is the "comittment". If he/she is NOT willing to be the Executive, then ... your project has a very high risk. I suggest you need to solve this asap. (Even if you are not using PRINCE2, if the prime contact is lost... the project will probably ...)
Stiff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - its not so much that they choose not to use PRINCE 2, it's just that they haven't in the past, and to properly contain and determine the feasibility of the project, it would be nice to formally apply a methodology.

I guess the issue is we have to drag clients (sometimes kicking and screaming) into a procedurally effective PM approach - I guess the only issues I see looming are the sudden terminology and documentation changes - they've been allowed to be incredibly loose with other service providers prior to working with us - our previous project (with them) was insanely out of control - with several service providers not communicating at critical times.

So, we are undertaking to present all the documentation, so they can sign off - including the mandate based on an email - that way everybody is in effect taking responsibility. How they deal with this will be interesting - so we are going 'by the book' with the documentation - but will more than likely offer them a very simplified version of the Mandate and PID so it's not overwhelming (we don't want to scare them off).
alfred

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stiff wrote:
Thanks - its not so much that they choose not to use PRINCE 2, it's just that they haven't in the past, and to properly contain and determine the feasibility of the project, it would be nice to formally apply a methodology.

I guess the issue is we have to drag clients (sometimes kicking and screaming) into a procedurally effective PM approach - I guess the only issues I see looming are the sudden terminology and documentation changes - they've been allowed to be incredibly loose with other service providers prior to working with us - our previous project (with them) was insanely out of control - with several service providers not communicating at critical times.

So, we are undertaking to present all the documentation, so they can sign off - including the mandate based on an email - that way everybody is in effect taking responsibility. How they deal with this will be interesting - so we are going 'by the book' with the documentation - but will more than likely offer them a very simplified version of the Mandate and PID so it's not overwhelming (we don't want to scare them off).

Hmm....

That is the same we are facing here... I think we need not to tell them we will use some formal methodology actually, but we should tell them the responsibilities and describe expectations from both parties . This will make them easier. And we should scale down the PRINCE2. PRINCE2 concept, IMHO, is - let the project manage in a control environment. If we tell them to follow the PRINCE2 in full ... hestitaton and "unpleasant feeling" are almost gurantted. What I suggest, is to make sure they have comittment and they should understand their responsibilities in full at the first place.

But actually I do not think the processes and documentation (products) of PRINCE2 are new... Even if we do not know PRINCE2, we use to making the documentation... like the Issue reports... PRINCE2, IMHO, is to summarize all the best practices.
Stiff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - commitment (and accountability) is the primary motivation for us - we know these guys are serious, but only a fool would enter a project with the sparse amount of documentation we usually get.

I think we'll attempt to alter some of the vernacular to fit more with their terminology so it appears to be just a re-ordering of the usual approaches (with some more rigid structures in place).

I'll let you know how we go.
jlynch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Prince 2 in Local Authorities Reply with quote

Prince2 doesnt fit ideally with the way local authority projects are implemented. Quite often it is impossible to distinguish supplier and user interests - they may be the same. Also local authorities often work in partnerships with a number of agencies e.g. Health, Social Services and Education. Police etc
My current project has to implement assessmnet and integrated working business processes across the childrens workforce in an area. Prince still needs further development in shedding its original ICT roots
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Prince2 User Forum Forum Index -> General Prince2 Issues All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: