Welcome to Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum
.: Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum :.
 Home | Guest Book | Forums | Contact Us | Submit News | Search
   Welcome Guest! Click here to create an account. March 09, 2014  
 .:Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forums
· Recommend Us
· Search
· Statistics
· Submit Feedback
· Submit News
· Surveys
· Web Links
· Your Account

.:Who's Online
There are currently, 207 guest(s) and 7 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

.:Search

.:Prince2 ? General
Hopefully you will find this portal to be extremely valuable. If you have any suggestions or comments however, please make them via the feedback option above.

Important Note: Prince2 ? is a trademark of the Office of Government Commerce

.:Useful Info
OGC? - The owners of Prince2 ?
ITIL? ITIL Wiki?
IT Infrastructure Lib?
CMI - Chartered Management Institute

Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum: Forums

International Prince2 User Forum :: View topic - What Is the Minimum Overhead for Prince?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Is the Minimum Overhead for Prince?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Prince2 User Forum Forum Index -> General Prince2 Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebbushell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: What Is the Minimum Overhead for Prince? Reply with quote

I'm new to PRINCE and I'm curious to know how "big" PRINCE is.

For example, what proportion of total project cost can be attributed to PRINCE?

Are there any rules of thumb for proportioning the PRINCE effort to project size?

Where should I have looked to find out this stuff, that everybody knows, before bothering you guys with it?

Many thanks,

Jeb.
rmackintosh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: What Is the Minimum Overhead for Prince? Reply with quote

It is difficult to state how big Prince is. I suggest that this is the wrong question. How helpful is Prince? How difficult is Prince? It actually depends on the organisation and the type of project you are doing. Prince is on overview Project Management methodology. If an organisation has the willingness to establish and follow a PM process it is a good process. But if the organisation only wants to be seen to follow a process but not really empower/allow the Programme and Project Managers to get on an manage projects then no PM methodology will work and Prince does not have any advantage over other PM methodologies in this respect.

In comparison to PMI it is lighter on the amount of paper work. However it is not as complete (for example Human Resource Management and Financial Managment is not explicitly part of the process). It is not a Software focussed PM methodology but most examples tend to follow SW or IT projects. In sohort it is a PM methodology that allows the organisation to establish a rigorous process of management the process work flow of a project. It understands that a Project is a process of discover as well as management and controls that process in stages.

I would say that Prince can be seen to be a Meta PM methodology that allows the Programme and Project Managers leeway in the usage of other development methodologies such as Agile, SSADM or DSDM.

I use a rough rule of thumb of 1:10 in assessing O/H cost of using PM. That is estimating in developing a product or service the cost of establishing the process of Prince in managing the project. For PMi it would be in the region of 2:15 as there are more steps involved and more difficult to get to grips with at first.

Hope that helps.

If not then drop me a line.

jebbushell wrote:
I'm new to PRINCE and I'm curious to know how "big" PRINCE is.

For example, what proportion of total project cost can be attributed to PRINCE?

Are there any rules of thumb for proportioning the PRINCE effort to project size?

Where should I have looked to find out this stuff, that everybody knows, before bothering you guys with it?

Many thanks,

Jeb.
MikeHR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very interesting and revealing question. And in a way the wrong question.

Perhaps the question should be: what proportion of total project cost can be attributed to managing the project?

There is a perception in some quarters that Prince2 is an overhead - the implication being that it is unnecessary and just there for the sake of being seen to comply with the method.

This is rather unfortunate.

What percentage of project cost should be spent defining, planning, controlling etc the project? Let's say 10% for the sake of illustration.

The extra cost of using Prince2 should be approximately zero. It's just that you name your project documents using Prince2 terminology, name your role players using Prince2 terminology etc etc etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Prince2 User Forum Forum Index -> General Prince2 Issues All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: