Welcome to Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum
.: Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum :.
 Home | Guest Book | Forums | Contact Us | Submit News | Search
   Welcome Guest! Click here to create an account. March 09, 2014  
 .:Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forums
· Recommend Us
· Search
· Statistics
· Submit Feedback
· Submit News
· Surveys
· Web Links
· Your Account

.:Who's Online
There are currently, 166 guest(s) and 12 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

.:Search

.:Prince2 ? General
Hopefully you will find this portal to be extremely valuable. If you have any suggestions or comments however, please make them via the feedback option above.

Important Note: Prince2 ? is a trademark of the Office of Government Commerce

.:Useful Info
OGC? - The owners of Prince2 ?
ITIL? ITIL Wiki?
IT Infrastructure Lib?
CMI - Chartered Management Institute

Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum: Forums

International Prince2 User Forum :: View topic - PMI v PRINCE2 (again!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PMI v PRINCE2 (again!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Prince2 User Forum Forum Index -> General Prince2 Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyMurray

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: PMI v PRINCE2 (again!) Reply with quote

The often quoted question still needs an answer!

?If my organisation is aligned to PMI, then why should I consider adopting the OGCs trilogy of PRINCE2, MSP and M_o_R?"

As a consultant, if I was given a pound every time a customer or potential customer asked me that question I?d no longer need to earn a living as a consultant! There have been only a few attempts to answer this question, the first in 2002 by Max Wideman and the last (to my knowledge) in 2003 in the APMG's case study of Getronics. However, both the PMI's PMBOK and the OGC's best practice products have been updated since then.

I have decided to put pen to paper and am half way though producing a white paper on the subject and wondered whether I could have your thoughts on this. The white paper will compare and contrast PMI with the UK's Office of Government Commerce Best Practice methods, PRINCE2 and Management of Risk. If your organisation is aligned to PMI or OGC Best Practice, then I would be very grateful to receive your feedback (by 26th May) under the following topics:

1) Is your organisation aligned to PMI or OGC Best Practice?
2) What do you consider to be the strengths of the chosen solution [PMI or OGC]?
3) What do you consider to be the weaknesses of the chosen solution [PMI or OGC]?
4) Have you found it necessary to extend material from PMI/OGC for effective operation in your organisation - if so, in which major areas was this necessary?
5) Are there any general comments you would like to make?

We are aiming to get this white paper published in the UK, so if you are willing to have any data you have provided published, then please indicate this (your industry vertical would be useful to know too!)

If you are interested, the synopsis for the white paper is:

?Can you compare an encyclopaedia with a user manual? How do you compare the theory and techniques of Project Management as embodied in PMI's PMBOK? Guide with the descriptions of how to execute a project as written in the OGC's PRINCE2? manual? What are the differences between OPM3? and P3M3? This paper discusses approaches to project management as embodied by the PMI and the OGC.?

Many thanks
Andy

Outperform - Bids, Projects, Programmes - The Accredited Consulting Organisation
GregT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the United States PMI is the dominant player. Although interest levels in PRINCE2 appear to be rising, PRINCE2 Practitioners will be bucking the trend if we try to sell PRINCE2 solutions.

Therefore, we need to sell " open solutions that are compliant with PMI's PMBOK and international standards." This not to cut PRINCE2 short, but simply a recognition of the fact that people here just don't care. Even worse, a minority of PMP's may openly resist PRINCE2 if they feel threatened by it.

In my experience with both the PMBOK framework and the PRINCE2 method, PRINCE2 fulfills roughly 80-90% of the PMBOK. The missing parts include organizaitonal influences, earned value, quality tools and techniques, developing and manging project teams, and project procurement management.

Moreover, there is very little in PRINCE2 that is incompatible with PMBOK. The primary difference is the definition of quality, which does not make much difference in the real world of the project manager.

In conclusion, PRINCE2 is one of several project management methods that complies with PMBOK, and has the benefit of being non-proprietary and backed by books, training, and certifications.

Greg
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PaulAtkin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

How did your paper go? I'd be happy to review from the PRINCE2 perspective, if that was helpful

Regards

Paul Atkin
DanSkelsey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: PMI vs PRINCE2 Reply with quote

I know this convesration is a bit old. but it always seems to be that a fairly obvious point is missed.

PRINCE2 is simply easier to learn.

For people to whom project management is not a core discipline but simply something they need to master as part of their overall skills set, "easy to learn" is tremendously important.

Dan Skelsey
[Edited: No links in here please]
NVi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Common practice vs. Best Practice Reply with quote

There are differences between PMBOK and Prince2. In general I would say PMI describes the current way projects are handled in most organisation (and a lot, most acording to Gartner, fail). Prince2 describes the way projects should be handled. The main differences are the ideas about organisation (Customer vs. Supplier) that PMI completely ignores (a disgrace!) and the Prince2 focus on results while PMI focusses on activities.
Also PMBOK still thinks that techniques are very important while the higher level processes are described in a shallow way.
Also PMI describes some areas that have nothing to do with (project) management (e.g. purchasing)
Prince2 describes a far more mature way of managing projects than PMBOK.
2552 LP Den Haag
T: +31 (0)70 4040058
M: +31 (0)6 51 33 42 58
F: +31 (0)70 4040059
prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Same subject, different approach Reply with quote

Same subject, different approach.

PMBoK is about how to be a project manager and is topic-based, whereas PRINCE2 is about how to run a project and is lifecycle-based.

PRINCE2 is weak on acquisition, supplier management and measurement; so turn to PMBoK and/or CMMI for guidance.
Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Prince2 User Forum Forum Index -> General Prince2 Issues All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: