Welcome to Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum
.: Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum :.
 Home | Guest Book | Forums | Contact Us | Submit News | Search
   Welcome Guest! Click here to create an account. March 09, 2014  
 .:Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forums
· Recommend Us
· Search
· Statistics
· Submit Feedback
· Submit News
· Surveys
· Web Links
· Your Account

.:Who's Online
There are currently, 207 guest(s) and 7 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

.:Search

.:Prince2 ? General
Hopefully you will find this portal to be extremely valuable. If you have any suggestions or comments however, please make them via the feedback option above.

Important Note: Prince2 ? is a trademark of the Office of Government Commerce

.:Useful Info
OGC? - The owners of Prince2 ?
ITIL? ITIL Wiki?
IT Infrastructure Lib?
CMI - Chartered Management Institute

Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum: Forums

International Prince2 User Forum :: View topic - PRINCE2: mandatory and optional?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PRINCE2: mandatory and optional?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Prince2 User Forum Forum Index -> General Prince2 Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: PRINCE2: mandatory and optional? Reply with quote

Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2

Is there a definitive list of what's mandatory and what's optional in PRINCE2?

For example, a Project Plan is mandatory, but Stage and Team Plans are optional.

I could wade through the 456 pages of the manual... Confused
Thanks in advance.
Wink
Craig

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRINCE2 is scalable according to individual project need, although personal experience shows we see a business case, risk logs etc. on every project and the rest vary according to need.

This scalability provides flexibility but is open to abuse where small projects are equipped with 2 dozen PRINCE2 documents and larger projects have far less, down to the project manager's preference.

I'm actually looking into how project manager's decide on which PRINCE2 products/documents to use in my organisation as part of a qualification I'm doing. If anyone could recommend any good sources of info I'd be much obliged!
vandohr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With respect, Craig and Prince.
Thank you for opening up a question which would seem quite important for PMs around the world to know.

As you can see, different businesses and different sizes of projects (and also companies) requires different sets of PRINCE2 documents as you know.

It's true when Craig said that "This scalability provides flexibility but is open to abuse where small projects are equipped with 2 dozen PRINCE2 documents and larger projects have far less, down to the project manager's preference."

There is one but the concern of a PRINCE2 applicant who asked me which one to use best in diverse situations. While I'd say it's best to refer to the business case, it's also good to remember that first few steps has to be taken first. Lounging around the middle/end part of the project timeline (if you have a historical case study to refer, that'll be great) would not only be extrinsic to your findings but will confuse a PM much further than he/she could handle.

While PRINCE2 originally was IT-specific, there is no say to that other business cannot adapt to it, too. This is a little off topic, sorry.

I'd suggest you understand the first 8 core elements of PRINCE2 (albeit PMBOK for the moment), then re-structure your findings into corporate goals, objectives and so forth.

Well, I'm watching as to implement PRINCE2 Principles into the F&B industry. Think it'll work? =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Prince2 User Forum Forum Index -> General Prince2 Issues All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: