Welcome to Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum
.: Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum :.
 Home | Guest Book | Forums | Contact Us | Submit News | Search
   Welcome Guest! Click here to create an account. March 09, 2014  
 .:Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forums
· Recommend Us
· Search
· Statistics
· Submit Feedback
· Submit News
· Surveys
· Web Links
· Your Account

.:Who's Online
There are currently, 194 guest(s) and 8 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

.:Search

.:Prince2 ? General
Hopefully you will find this portal to be extremely valuable. If you have any suggestions or comments however, please make them via the feedback option above.

Important Note: Prince2 ? is a trademark of the Office of Government Commerce

.:Useful Info
OGC? - The owners of Prince2 ?
ITIL? ITIL Wiki?
IT Infrastructure Lib?
CMI - Chartered Management Institute

Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum: Forums

International Prince2 User Forum :: View topic - Product description
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Product description

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Prince2 User Forum Forum Index -> Compliance and Certification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Product description Reply with quote

Does any one know what questions to ask yourself when given a bad business case in the exam as how it can be improved?

The same goes for product description

Cheers
alfred

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Product description Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
Does any one know what questions to ask yourself when given a bad business case in the exam as how it can be improved?

The same goes for product description

Cheers

PRINCE2 exam usually describes a real life scenario. It is hard to answer that question in this way ...

PRINCE2 business case includes the following -
Reasons, Options, Benefits, Risks, Costs and timesales, Investment ...

Busincess case is also the driving force for PRINCE2 projects.

You could look up the Business Case chapter from the book. But one point needs to remember Business Case is always changing and needs to be "reviewed" at .... (recall?)

One example of bad Business Case is "pet" project. Another one could be "risk assessment is not good enough". For instance, DOT COM !

Just to re-think about the content of Business Case, you could easily find out how to improve it.
Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alfred,

I have my exam in the next 2 weeks, this kind of information really helps, for example what kind of intentional mistakes did they make that we can look out for in the Risk analysis and Business case, or what kind of questions can we ask ourselves while answering the question to see where they have plotted the mistakes.

If you have any other tips i would greatly appreciate it if you could email me or just post them on this board.

Cheers and thanks in advance

Last edited by Bob on Sat May 14, 2005 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
alfred

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
Thanks Alfred,

I have my exam in the next 2 weeks, this kind of information really helps, for example what kind of intentional mistakes did they make that we can look out for in the Risk analysis and Business case, or what kind of questions can we ask ourselves while answering the question to see where they have plotted the mistakes.

If you have any other tips i would greatly appreciate it if you could email me or just post them on this board.

Cheers and thanks in advance

aljosa@hotmail.co.uk

I think passing the paper is not that difficult, just remember that 3 hours are not enough for most people --- as we are used to typing using computer. I recalled that my hand ... was "out of control" after the exam !

There are 3 questions, and I find that at least 1/3 of the sub-questions are very easy. So plan your time. Don't waste time at the questions that you do not have any idea at all.

Remember the questions are based on a scenario. Don't write the theory.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfred,

Cheers again mate
alfred

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
Alfred,

Cheers again mate

I have "studied" more than 10 past papers Razz Razz Razz

So I am sure 1/3 of the questions are very easy such as asking you what is subprocesses involved at a specific time of a scenario. How you formulate the Board.

Medium difficulty: - like conduct a risk analysis ...

IMHO, only 1/3-1/4 of the questions are really difficult and need how you practice the PRINCE.

But beware, there is really lots lots lots to write ... So you may need to practice fast and concise hand writing but please let your hand (right hand haha) gets a good rest before the exam. I notice many candidates do not have enought time to answer all questions.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Questions Reply with quote

Alfred,

You mentioned you have been through 10 practice exams, is this something you could share with us.

I noticed they allocate 4 marks to id as to WHY you have chosen a The "Executive" "PM" etc, what kind of Info are they really looking for here. I know you are supposed to justify your choice butI am a bit stuck.

I also wanted to ask, when asked to do a product description, is it usually a physical product, an application or a list?
Bob

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfred,

You mentioned you have been through 10 practice exams, is this something you could share with us.

I noticed they allocate 4 marks to id as to WHY you have chosen a The "Executive" "PM" etc, what kind of Info are they really looking for here. I know you are supposed to justify your choice butI am a bit stuck.

I also wanted to ask, when asked to do a product description, is it usually a physical product, an application or a list?

Cheers

aljosa@hotmail.co.uk
alfred

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
Alfred,

Cheers

aljosa@hotmail.co.uk

Executive selection: 4 marks.. IMHO, it is relatively simple and direct. One should refer to the scenario and states why he.she select the person as the Executive. Reasons behind: business and project owner, seniority, the one who could bring external (business)information and environment, ... just open the TSO MSP with PRINCE2. Turn to the Exeutive and apply the principles. These 4 marks should be yours ! PM is the one who conducts the daily project activities. You could refer to the book and also ask yourself why your boss selects you as a PM? ... experience in project mgt, knows PRINCE2 ( Twisted Evil ) ...

Product Description: I have never seen a question which requires you to prepare a PD for a management product ! (Is it too simple for us to describe a PID?) I suggest one should "refer" to the mark to see how many points they want to have... My experience tells me that all of the PD refers to a "physical product" (technical product).

Talking about the points allocation to each question, for simple questions like state the 7 subprocesses of some process, it will require to you to state all the sub-processes. However for others, like make a risk analysis, the Chief Examiner usually does not expect one to list out all the risks. Say 5 out of 7 is enough. (as it is very subjective) but remind that the risks should be realistics. When they mark your paper, if they found something is valid for a point which does not state in the marking scheme, they will add them to the marking scheme. So the answer must be realistics and applicable for that scenario.

I recall one paper that the bank stops the financing of a plant renovation. The questions ask to prepare a risk analysis at the second stage ( Twisted Evil remember? I notice that they really like to use the term second stage !) and how the PM reacts when the bank stops the financing.
Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Talking about the points allocation to each question, for simple questions like state the 7 subprocesses of some process, it will require to you to state all the sub-processes.

Q1. Could they really ask us to list sub-porcesses i.e Managing product delivery MP1,2,3 as a question?

Q2. When you talk about stage 2, I am assuming you are refering to now that the risk has occured what do you do?

Cheers
alfred

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
Quote:
Talking about the points allocation to each question, for simple questions like state the 7 subprocesses of some process, it will require to you to state all the sub-processes.

Q1. Could they really ask us to list sub-porcesses i.e Managing product delivery MP1,2,3 as a question?

Q2. When you talk about stage 2, I am assuming you are refering to now that the risk has occured what do you do?

Cheers

Q1. Yes. Usually 1 mark for each sub-processes or even less. I found similar questions at least 2 times.

Q2. Nope. In a scenario, ... at stage 2, the boss wants to do something. Just like that. It is just to test you whether the candidate knows what is stage 2 in PRINCE2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Prince2 User Forum Forum Index -> Compliance and Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: