Welcome to Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum
.: Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum :.
 Home | Guest Book | Forums | Contact Us | Submit News | Search
   Welcome Guest! Click here to create an account. March 09, 2014  
 .:Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forums
· Recommend Us
· Search
· Statistics
· Submit Feedback
· Submit News
· Surveys
· Web Links
· Your Account

.:Who's Online
There are currently, 192 guest(s) and 8 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

.:Search

.:Prince2 ? General
Hopefully you will find this portal to be extremely valuable. If you have any suggestions or comments however, please make them via the feedback option above.

Important Note: Prince2 ? is a trademark of the Office of Government Commerce

.:Useful Info
OGC? - The owners of Prince2 ?
ITIL? ITIL Wiki?
IT Infrastructure Lib?
CMI - Chartered Management Institute

Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum: Forums

International Prince2 User Forum :: View topic - Do you actually enjoy being a Project Manager?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you actually enjoy being a Project Manager?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Prince2 User Forum Forum Index -> General Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dongavich

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Do you actually enjoy being a Project Manager? Reply with quote

I am just beginning with Prince2 an Project Management and was curious about how seasoned PMs enjoyed their chosen profession?

- Do you guys do PM because you really enjoy the challenge? (and not just because you were nudged into it at work)

- How many years have you been in the profession and is it one you think you would want to stay in for the foseeable future?

I am interested as I have never really found comments on whether or not project managers are passionate about their work..
Clare

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: You'll probably get biased answers... Reply with quote

I'm not a project manager, but it does occur to me that you'll probably find the responses to this question are a bit biased. The people who are reading these forums are the ones who are interested enough in the profession to want to expand their knowledge. The ones who don't care about it much or really hate their jobs aren't going to bother reading forums like this.

I don't think I'd fancy being a project manager, I think I'll stick to IT.

Good luck anyway!

Clare
dynaman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the perspective of working in a number of companies, it can largely depend on the type of environment you are in and the type of person you are.

Certainly, it can be challenging, rewarding and quite fulfilling - with good support and the right environment. The negative sides often relate to lack of support, politics and consequently frustration.

Whichever route you have taken into Project Management, 'nudged' or otherwise - your attitude is the most important thing you will need.
kentcoast

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been fun for a few years - but I wouldn't want to do it for life.

I've always enjoyed being a technical 'troubleshooter' and I loathe routine. So a few years of contract PMing has taught me a lot and been great fun.
Blossom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest it depends on the project. I recently worked on an NHS project that scarred me for life Very Happy

I've worked on some great projects with some great people. The not so good ones can make me wonder why im bothering to get out of bed.

I'm honestly considering beocming a prince2 trainer...Havent started applying yet, but apparently i need an accredited centre to sponsor me.

Anyone have any tips on becoming a trainer and best way to approach a new career?

Thanks
alaind123

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

based on your PM experience, why do you think your projects failed ? and why did they succeed ?

question 2 : what are for you the most important skills to be a good PM ?

Thanks !
pmhut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the job. Naturally, nobody enjoys being stressed all the time, having to work on weekends, and dealing with obnoxious people. Now as much as we don't like to admit it, but these things are typical in a PMs life. However, while one PM job can be torture, another one can be ideal. Now for me, I had a taste of both, but not at the same time. Thankfully, my current job is not that stressful (I wouldn't mind some stress), so I'm quite enjoying it.
AC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: I love Project Management Reply with quote

I love PM because it gives me the opportunity to meet new people from different functional area or companies and I love new things so PM really suits me rather than normal routine daily job.

Andrew
andrewcheah.com
Tristan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Passion for Projects Reply with quote

Taking time to reflect on the numerous hats the Project Manager wears is well worth doing.

The other day I came up with over 40 roles required of a Project Manager. From arbitrator, peacemaker and facilitator to leader, negotiator and coach. And that's not to mention to obvious functions of planner, risk manager and resource manager, accountant etc etc

How exciting is it to wear so many hats?! This obviously makes the role of a PM incredibly challenging. More so today than ever before; as expectations are being set increasingly higher.

I'm passionate about the role of a project manager. And excited everyday I go to work. And I know I am not alone in that respect.

Regards

Tristan
erikko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not a project manager but it seems like a tiring yet fulfilling job if your project is a success
MikeHR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project Management. Hard to be neutral about it - you either love it or hate it.

Even if you like it you will get those scarring projects.

Best projects I've done were the ones where I was managing it form the inception - that way you can make sure the foundations are well laid and things are done properly in the early stages.

Most scarring experience was taking over a troubled project half way through. Every day some other horror crawled out of the woodwork.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Prince2 User Forum Forum Index -> General Issues All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: