Welcome to Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum
.: Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum :.
 Home | Guest Book | Forums | Contact Us | Submit News | Search
   Welcome Guest! Click here to create an account. March 09, 2014  
 .:Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Forums
· Recommend Us
· Search
· Statistics
· Submit Feedback
· Submit News
· Surveys
· Web Links
· Your Account

.:Who's Online
There are currently, 175 guest(s) and 11 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

.:Search

.:Prince2 ? General
Hopefully you will find this portal to be extremely valuable. If you have any suggestions or comments however, please make them via the feedback option above.

Important Note: Prince2 ? is a trademark of the Office of Government Commerce

.:Useful Info
OGC? - The owners of Prince2 ?
ITIL? ITIL Wiki?
IT Infrastructure Lib?
CMI - Chartered Management Institute

Prince2 ? and Project Management Forum: Forums

International Prince2 User Forum :: View topic - Sources of Prince2 definitions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sources of Prince2 definitions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Prince2 User Forum Forum Index -> General Prince2 Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
powergx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Sources of Prince2 definitions Reply with quote

Newbie Alert

I'm a lowly IT hack in a very large UK local authority which claims to use Prince2 but I'm separated by several layers of "management" from the project managers etc. My line manager, i'm guessing aka Team Manager in a Prince2 context, constantly changes their reporting demands. I know ,even if he/she doesn't, that what's required is a Checkpoint Report but I'm having difficulty with some of the terms in the template from OGC.

Specifically - what does "Date Held" mean ?

Generally - can anyone advise where I can get translations from Prince2 speak to real human language?

Answers along the lines of "Buy a set of manuals", "Get a training course" etc aren't practical (or helpful here and now)
alfred

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother lanaguage is not English ... I do not fully undestand what you mean but ... allow me to try to make a few comments.

It is a good practice to learn PRINCE2 by taking course.

Moreover, you should have experience in managing a project if you are to be accredited.

What I think, is: If your company has a coach, you will learn it much faster.
GregT

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see "date held" in the Product Description for Checkpoint Report. In fact, I searched the manual and could not find any hits. Please provide more context to your question.

I believe there are some sites that describe PRINCE2 concepts. Please feel free to post questions on this forum as well.
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AndyMurray

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Common Glossary Reply with quote

The Stationery Office (TSO) are in the process of producing a common glossary across all of the OGC's products (P2, MSP and M_o_R).

This will go some way to helping people new to project management. However, in this case it probably won't help since it appears that whoever produced the PRINCE2 templates in your organisation has enhanced or tailored the content of the PRINCE2 documents.

A 'checkpoint' is a status review between the PM and a team (or person) working on the project. If the project has a number of teams (e.g some internal some external) then the PM might have a number of checkpoints with each team. The 'checkpoint report' is a record of the status review.

It is not uncommon however for the Checkpoint Report to simply be a form of weekly/monthly report from people working on the project to the project manager. PRINCE2 is careful not to call the status reviews meetings since they may be held by phone or conducted via collaboration tools or whatever is most convenient.

I suspect that in your case the author of the template assumes that the checkpoint is in fact a meeting and therefore the date held field refers to the date of the meeting.

Regards
Andy

Outperform - Bids, Projects, Programmes - The Accredited Consulting Organisation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Prince2 User Forum Forum Index -> General Prince2 Issues All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: